For many years prior to the founding in Bradford of a Lodge of the Theosophical Society
a group of earnest students of Theosophy had met regularly week by week at the house of one of
them at Baildon and Frizinghall, and later at the Alexandra Hotel, Great Horton
Road, so that when the decision to apply for a charter of incorporation from the British
Section of the Theosophical Society was made, there was a nucleus of students prepared to give
to the public the results of their varied and special studies.
A charter was granted to them on February 4th, 1891, and the first members of the lodge as recorded
in the minute book were J. Clayton, J. S. Douglas, E. J. Dunn, Dr. B. E. J. Edwards, O. Firth,
W. Grason, F. D. Harrison, Prof. Hatfield E. S. Jastrzebski, E. Mackay, J. Midgley, T. H. Pattinson,
F. Rhodes, W. Williams, T. W. Wilson, Mrs. F. M. Firth, Mrs. Pattinson and Miss K. Spink.
A room was rented at Osborne Buildings, 9, New Kirkgate, for the use of the lodge, and was
furnished by the members with chairs, table and other articles for the convenience of themselves
and the public.
The first business of the lodge was to make rules for the conduct of its affairs, and it was decided,
amongst other things, to make a charge of sixpence per week for membership. Lodge nights were devoted
alternatively to study and conversation - refreshments being provided on the latter occasions.
In those days it was the custom to appoint an officer to be in direct contact with both Headquarters
and the lodge, and who should keep the lodge informed of the activities of the General Council
of the Society. Mrs. Cooper-Oakley undertook that task prior to and during the early days
of the lodge. On one occasion Dr. Wynn Westcott deputised for her.
It is interesting to note this minute recorded on Wednesday, April 15th, 1891: "
No meeting was held, on account of riotous disturbances in the town." Those
disturbances were caused as the outcome of work-people from Lister's mill, being on strike, and
crowds had gathered opposite the Town Hall, where the Mayor of Bradford read the Riot Act before
soldiers were called to help quell the disturbance.
At the lodge meeting on Wednesday, May 12th, 1891, the following resolution was passed:
"That this lodge hereby desires to express its sincere regret, occasioned by the death of that
inestimable woman, named Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, and deeply laments the loss, which,
the world in general, the Theosophical Society in particular, and most especially her private
students, will thereby incur. But as it is not the fleeting personality of an individual, but the
love of Eternal Wisdom which ought to attract and sustain us, the lodge is further resolved to
abide loyal to the Theosophical Society, as being the best custodian of, and channel through which,
that wisdom may be obtained."
At the cremation the lodge was represented by T. H. Pattinson.
A visit by Annie Besant and W. Q. Judge was made to Bradford on Monday,
June 15th, 1891, and they delivered lectures to the public, but details are not given in the
minute book as to place or subject. It was considered more important, apparently, to record that
"tea and refreshments should be provided at the Central Coffee Tavern and that W. P. Byles
and Prof. James Hanson should be invited."
For the first nine months of the lodge's career no real attempt had been made to interest the
public in Theosophy (though visitors were allowed at the meetings), the members being content to
study portions of "The Secret Doctrine" and articles from "Lucifer," etc.
But as new members were steadily made it was considered desirable to take a larger room from time
to time and invite the public to attend. On Wednesday, October 7th, 1891, a room was hired
in the Church Institute and "20 to 30" people attended. This arrangement was carried on for
only two months, the attendances dropping considerably.
Another effort to interest the public in Theosophy was made in November, 1892, when a series
of five lectures was given in the lodge rooms. The meetings were poorly attended.
On June 3rd, 1893, the inaugural meeting of the Northern Counties Federation (now
the Northern Federation of the Theosophical Society) was held in Manchester.
Oliver Firth (the president of the lodge) and F. D. Harrison had been largely
responsible for the formation of the Federation, so that it was fitting that these members should
act as delegates from the lodge.
It was evident that the lodge was divided in its attitude to propaganda, and this probably
accounted for the failure of any scheme to interest the public. Though visitors came once to the
meetings they seldom came again, it is recorded.
On Wednesday, April 4th, 1894, the lodge removed from Osborne Buildings to a room
at the Central Coffee Tavern, at the junction of Kirkgate and Westgate, and
made a further attempt to attract the public. This time lecturers were invited from other towns,
and as these were older students of Theosophy some measure of success was attained. The names of
the lecturers were J. H. Fletcher, W. A. Bulmer, - Kitchen, Miss Shaw, - Corbett, A. D. Cheyne,
R. Jevons, Mrs. Bell and B. Hudson. On each of these occasions there were satisfactory
It was on Wednesday, August 30th, 1893, that another Theosophical lodge, known as the
Athene Lodge, commenced its activities in Bradford. Whether that lodge's method of
conducting its meetings was more attractive than that of the original Bradford Lodge is
not known, but many resignations from the latter lodge were recorded, and the names of those
members were subsequently found in the register of the Athene Lodge.
An attempt to unite the two lodges was made in February, 1895, but the Athene Lodge
would not entertain the idea. However, when any special function connected with the Theosophical
movement took place, both lodges united in organising and attending them. This was always the
case when Mrs. Besant came to lecture; and when C. W. Leadbeater paid a visit on
January 25th, 1896, and also when he paid another visit on November 25th, 1896, and
spoke on "Our Relation to Children."
Another removal of the Bradford Lodge was made in
April, 1896, this time to a room in the Royal Hotel, Darley
Street. Another visit was made by Mrs. Besant to Bradford on the
31st August, 1896, when she spoke at the Central Hall, Manchester
Road, on "The Life after Death"; Oliver Firth
For some time it was seen that interest in the lodge was
on the wane. Many meetings were abandoned because of the few members or visitors
attending, and there were periods when the same half-dozen met on the lodge
night to discuss the same subjects. This was so discouraging that on
Wednesday, November 17th, 1897, a decision was taken to suspend the
meetings until the Annual Meeting in February, 1898.
This meeting took place in the board room of the
Bradford Coffee Tavern Company's Offices at 8 o'clock on February 2nd,
1898 at which were present: O. Firth, J. Midgley, J. Gibson, E.
Hardcastle, Mrs. Firth, Mrs. Midgley and Miss Spink. F. D. Harrison
sent an apology for his absence. The question as to whether the lodge should
continue to function was thoroughly discussed, and it was finally resolved:
"That the lodge be dissolved, but the library kept together under Mr. Midgley's
care." It is interesting to know that many of the books in our present library
were subscribed by this original lodge and subsequently handed to the
Bradford Lodge by J. Midgley on its resuscitation.
Thus ended the first chapter in the annals of the
Theosophical movement in Bradford. In any attempt made to form a judgment upon
the work of the Bradford Lodge one muse not overlook these facts: Theosophy
presented to the thinker an entirely new conception of life, and people were
naturally prejudiced against any teaching calculated to upset their ease and
complacency. The idea of reincarnation and karma were both revolting and
revolutionary. The spiritualists misunderstood the teaching and reviled it; and
orthodox religion ridiculed it. Added to this was the fact that the books
available to members for study were few and difficult to understand. If account
is taken of all these and other circumstances, one gratefully realises that the
members were true pioneers. The loyalty to the lodge and devotion to the cause
of Oliver Firth and John Midgley, who remained as president and secretary
respectively during the whole time of the lodge's existence, must be
acknowledged with warm appreciation.
Go to top of page
The meeting at which a second "Bradford" Lodge
agreed to apply for a charter was held on Tuesday, September 30th, l902,
in the Yorkshire Penny Bank Chambers, North Parade, Bradford, and Oliver
Firth presiding. The following officers were elected: President, Percy
Lund; Secretary, Mrs. Firth; Treasurer, Henry Saville;
Librarian, Mrs. Firth; Bookseller, J. Dexter. Others present at
the meeting were: Miss Atkins, Miss Spink, Miss G. Spink, Miss Gale, Mrs.
Wooller, - Waddington, John Midgley and W. Brook.
There is no doubt that the valuable experience gained in
the conduct of the two previous Lodges stood the new Lodge in good stead. Most
of the discordant elements that developed in the previous lodges were absent,
and as time has proved, this was to the benefit of the movement.
At first the lodge devoted special attention to public
lectures, of which 21 were given during the first year. In addition, "at
homes" were held on Friday afternoons and evenings, at which Theosophy
was discussed with any enquirer who came along. The members met fortnightly to
arrange the business.
At the end of the first year the membership stood at 25.
A change of policy took place during the second year of
the lodge's existence. The weekly (Tuesday) meetings were devoted to
public lectures, enquirers' meetings, and study classes for members of the society,
and social evenings. This variety of activity was much appreciated and was the
means of bringing together many earnest enquirers and thus strengthening the
At the annual meeting on Wednesday, September 6th,
1905, under the presidency of F. D. Harrison, the Lodge decided to
devote more time to study, and the first book chosen was ''A Study in
Consciousness"; also from time to time the members gave papers on "The
The Lodge continued to function very smoothly, and to
enrol more members, so that in March, 1908, it was decided to look round
for more suitable meeting rooms, and if possible to share the tenancy of a house
with a kindred society. Twelve months, however, elapsed before that decision was
put into operation. In March, 1909, the lodge joined forces with the
Loft Arts Club at 81, Manningham Lane. This was only a temporary
home, for in the following September the Lodge again removed to 11,
Belle Vue, sharing the house with the Bradford Arts Cub.
The rooms were officially opened on Wednesday,
September 29th, 1909, by Miss Maud Sharpe (General Secretary of the
parent society), who gave a lecture to the public on "The Bodies we
Wear." J. Dexter, who had become president, occupied the chair. Prior
to the opening a reception was held, when about 50 members and friends
enjoyed tea and conversation.
About this time an effort was made amongst the members to
cultivate public speaking, and once a month the Lodge meeting was given over to
In October, 1909, the first of a series of Sunday
evening lectures was instituted, and these have continued to this day.
Miss Pattinson (secretary) paid a visit to
Pudsey in November, 1910, and addressed about 40 persons on
"What is Theosophy?'' This is the first recorded propaganda work
outside Bradford undertaken by the lodge. Other towns subsequently
visited were Stanningley, Keighley, Skipton, Huddersfield and
Halifax, at all of which reading circles were formed. A Lodge at
Baildon was commenced after a series of public lectures had been given by
Miss Pattinson, W. Gush, and J. Midgley. Four lectures were given
at Ilkley by Miss Pattinson, with F. D. Harrison as
chairman, during July, 1912.
It was on September 3rd, 1913, that the Lodge
removed to its present home at Unity Hall, Rawson Square, after three
years' tenancy of Belle Vue had expired. The membership at that time was
The Sunday public lectures and the
Wednesday Lodge meetings had become an established institution.
A few facts extracted from the minutes of the first
annual meeting held in the new rooms are of interest: President, F. D.
Harrison; Vice-President, J. Dexter; Secretary, Miss
Pattinson; Treasurer, W. Stringer; Book Steward, Miss Cuff;
Assistant Book Steward, J. Burrows; Musical Director, H. Stone;
Librarian, E. Halstead; and Assistant Librarian, J. W. Gill.
During the year £50 worth of literature was sold. The treasurer had in
hand the sum of £1 3s. 2d.
With such a meagre financial backing the members
displayed great courage in venturing to take so bold a step as the tenancy of
Unity Hall, especially as the rent involved an increase of £30 per
year, but there seemed no doubt in their minds that it was the best thing to do.
Times have proved they were right. No doubt they were encouraged by the fact
that the average attendance at the public lectures was 50, and on
occasions there were many more present. This was definite evidence that the
presentation of Theosophy was proving helpful to many people, for during the
first year in the new rooms the average attendance of the public jumped to
At this time also, the members were asked to give
lectures at Bingley, and a travelling box of books was sent to S.
Greenwood, of Keighley, who sought to help the work in that
As an additional aid to interesting the casual attendees
at the lectures, an "at home" with conversation and refreshments was held on
Wednesday, January 14th. 1914, at which 130 persons attended. This
was such a gratifying success that other similar functions followed at
intervals. The personal contact gained in asking and answering knotty problems,
particularly as regards enquirers who were naturally shy, was most helpful, and
many members were made as a result.
On Wednesday, February 2nd, 1916, the Lodge
celebrated its Silver Jubilee. About 60 members and friends
attended, including members from neighbouring lodges and centres. Music and
refreshments formed part of the entertainment. A review of the work of the
previous 25 years was given by F. D. Harrison and J.
Midgley. A letter was read from Hodgson Smith, of Harrogate,
apologising for not being able to accept an invitation to attend and thanking
Bradford for having introduced Theosophy to Harrogate. "It was in
St. George's Hall, in November, 1891, that I and others first
heard Mrs. Besant lecture on 'What is Theosophy?' After that
lecture we determined to have a Lodge of the Theosophical Society in
Harrogate," he wrote.
During the War period 1914-18 the Lodge was faced
with a real difficulty. Lecturers from a distance could not come because of
traffic dislocation, so the president persuaded every available member to
prepare and deliver lectures. The public attended in ever-increasing numbers and
their thirst for knowledge had to be satisfied or a golden opportunity to spread
Theosophy would be lost. The Unity lecture room was crowded every
Sunday evening, and on occasions people had to be turned away. Members
who had joined only six months before gave lectures which met with much
appreciation. By this means interest was sustained and the Cause advanced.
Enthusiasm and service were the key-notes of that memorable period, every member
being imbued with both these commendable qualities.
In addition to all this, members went out
enthusiastically on lecture tours to Keighley (where during 1916-17,
24 addresses were given); to Baildon (15 addresses); and to
Bingley (eight addresses). These activities were part of a scheme
which had been outlined to the Lodge on Wednesday, November 29th, 1916,
by the president and it was only the beginning of more ambitious projects later.
Whilst Miss Clara Codd (National Lecturer) was paying a two-weeks' visit
to Bradford in September, 1917, the fullest use was made of her
services, and she spoke at Shipley, Keighley, Halifax and Spen
Valley. The success of those lectures prompted the president to follow it up
by extending the scope of the Lodge work, and with that idea in mind he put
forth the characteristic suggestion of forming centres and lodges in those
towns, to be assisted by the members of the Bradford Lodge. Already study
groups were being held in Keighley (for a period of three months)
in charge of Miss Read at first, and later Miss Clara Robinson and
J. T. Wolstenholme. Then Mrs. Clayton and T. W. Holmes took
charge, with Miss D. Hargreaves as assistant. Bingley was in
charge of Mrs. Hargreaves and R. Clayton and Shipley in
charge of J. T. Wolstenholme and Mrs. Gill. Cleckheaton was
in charge of J. Briggs and Miss A. Chew; later J. W. Gill
took the place of Miss Chew. It is interesting to record that during her
two weeks' visit, Miss Codd delivered 15 lectures at
Bradford and the four towns mentioned above, about 3,000 persons
hearing her. On two occasions at Unity Hall the upper room would not hold
all who sought admittance, and overflow meetings were subsequently addressed by
Miss Codd in the lower room.
Another visit was paid by Miss Codd from April
7th to 28th, 1918, when the Picture House, Thornton Road, was taken
for Sunday lectures and Mechanics' Institute for Tuesday
lectures. Crowded audiences listened with rapt attention to her discourses. It
was during this visit that Keighley, Bingley, Cleckheaton and
Shipley were constituted official centres of the Theosophical
Miss Codd paid yet another visit in
November and December, 1918, when the same Picture House
was taken for nine Sundays and Unity Hall for seven
Thursdays. Crowded audiences assembled.
The Lodge's greatest activity and numerical prosperity
was in 1918-1919, no fewer than 38 members being admitted during
that year, making a total of 120 with 32 associates. Many of those
members were associated with the newly-formed Centres which had developed out of
the lodge's propaganda effort, and as it was a ruling at Headquarters that only
existing members of the society could form a new Lodge, it followed that when
these were raised to the status of Lodges, those who had joined in
Bradford transferred their membership to the Lodges of their own
district. Therefore when in the following years the membership of the
Bradford Lodge fell considerably, the reason was this inevitable
During 1918-1919, 57 public lectures were given in
Unity Hall, the Picture House and the Mechanics' Institute
by Miss Codd and members from Bradford and other Lodges, with a
total attendance of 17,880 (an average of 303 per meeting). During
the same period the average attendance at the 47 Lodge meetings was
73. The number of books loaned from the library was 647 and books
to the value of £206 were sold. It had been the custom to devote the
profits from the sale of literature to purchasing books for the library. Miss
Cuff had done this in the past, and F. Brooman, who was book stall
steward at that time handed over 41 volumes, to the value of £10 2s.
0d. Many more books have been given in this way in subsequent years.
On Wednesday evening, July 2nd, 1919, the
Bradford Lodge had the unique experience of participating in a ceremony
of "Dedication of Members' Infant Children to the service of the
Masters." The president (F. D. Harrison) at a very impressive
ceremony gave names to Marjorie, the daughter of Arthur and
Mrs. Clemo; and to Derek, the son of Fred and Mrs.
Brooman. A Theosophical seal was presented to each of the children.
In response to an advertisement placed in a
Halifax newspaper the secretary of the Bradford Lodge, E. C. Bolt,
met four interested enquirers about Theosophy on Thursday, June 6th,
1918. This meeting was destined to be the forerunner of many years' Lodge
and propaganda work in that town, under the presidency of A. Jackman.
Halifax became a Lodge on November 29th, 1919.
It could hardly be expected that, in spite of the hard
work put in by our members, all the centres started by the lodge would evolve
into lodges. Shipley and Bingley, being only a short tram-ride
from Bradford did not seek Lodge status, those interested preferring to
throw in their lot with Bradford and share in the many more attractive
activities that the city could offer. Cleckheaton, however, became a
Lodge in December, 1918, with J. W. Gill as president; and
Keighley in April, 1921, with Mrs. Clayton as president.
Huddersfield also received attention, and whilst Miss Codd was on
one of her frequent visits to Bradford, this town was allocated three
public meetings in October, 1919. A centre was formed in due course and a
Lodge was established under the presidency of R. Clayton.
In April, 1921, F. D. Harrison resigned the
presidency of the Lodge after having continuously held that office from -
1910 though he had occupied the chair for twelve months some years
previously. Looking back at those years, one is impressed with the fact that the
great success of the lodge was due to F. D. Harrison's sagacity in making
the most of that attractive propagandist, Miss Codd; to the
1914-18 war, when people sought comfort from Theosophy; and to there
being a body of enthusiastic members who were determined to make a success of
propaganda effort by unreservedly placing themselves at the disposal of the
president. One cannot pass over the work of E. C. Bolt without recording
sincere appreciation of the valuable work he did as secretary of the Lodge.
Tribute to his splendid services was paid by the lodge when it appointed him
president in 1921.
Ever since the Lodge has met at Unity Hall it has
been happy in having such loyal and earnest workers as F. D. Harrison, T. W.
Holmes, H. Saville, J. Midgley, and Miss Pattinson, and it can
truthfully be said they helped considerably to lay the foundation of that long
period of successful work. The magnitude of the task F. D. Harrison
performed for Theosophy can in some measure be realised when it is stated that
during his presidency, by gentle persuasion and encouragement, he introduced to
the Theosophical Movement no fewer than 57 lecturers, most of whom were
younger members of the Society.
With a change of president came a change of policy and
less attention was paid to outside propaganda and more to consideration of the
relationship of Theosophy to science, economics, sociology and astrology. The
Lodge was divided into different sections for specific research into these
subjects and the results incorporated in the lodge study as a whole.
In September, 1921, the Lodge commenced a separate
group for beginners and interested friends, which met at a different time to the
usual Lodge meeting. Whilst C. R. Groves resided in Bradford a
well-attended science group was held at his home and continued for some time. An
astrological group was also formed with Miss Pattinson and Miss
Cowie as leaders. Other groups inaugurated were: Economics (J. F.
Harvey); Press and Publicity (W. Gledhill); Social service (Mrs.
Edith Hopkinson); Theosophical Fraternity in Education (Miss G.
Whitley); Guild of the Citizens of Tomorrow (Miss F. M. Mitchell);
and Philosophy (J. S. Wooller). In addition to the above some of the
members corresponded with F.T.S. in other countries, under the auspices of the
International Correspondence League. The Theosophical Order of Service
also had workers among the members.
These numerous activities convinced the council of the
Lodge that the rooms available at Unity Hall were not adequate, so in
May, 1922, "consideration was given to the question of acquiring new
lodge premises to be rented or bought for the sole use of the Lodge and its
activities." In 1926 the Lodge considered the purchase of the
Temperance Hall, Chapel Street, Leeds Road, but the price the Lodge
offered was not sufficient. In 1933 the hall was again offered to the
Lodge, but decreased attendances at public lectures did not then warrant the
idea being entertained.
Whilst the members were filling the roles of lecturers at
the Sunday and Lodge meetings the office of chairman at the public
meetings was often shared by the members. This was an innovation introduced
during the presidency of A. Jackman and it gave members the opportunity
of becoming accustomed to speaking from the platform. Later, in 1929-30,
when the Lodge took the unusual step of dividing the duties of the president for
twelve months amongst the principal officers of the Lodge, this practice proved
of great advantage.
A fund, known as the Lodge Benevolent Fund, was
opened for the purpose of financially helping any member whose circumstances
needed assistance and this functioned for many years.
A. Jackman resigned the office of President in
1929, having occupied that position from 1923. Much useful work
had been done during his presidency, and gratifying results came from the
various auxiliaries that were organised at that time.
Headquarters paid the Lodge the compliment of sending
down its most gifted speakers, and the Picture House was often filled
with audiences thrilled by the inspired messages delivered. As statistical
records have not been retained, it cannot be stated what the permanent results
were. It could not be expected that the high-water mark reached in
1918-19 would be maintained for a very long period - even if the same set
of circumstances had obtained as then existed. Members left the district in
pursuit of their business, and though this impoverished the Lodge, it enriched
the districts into which those members settled, as they invariably commenced
Theosophical activity or augmented the existing lodge by their presence and
After a visit from L. W. Rodgers (U.S.A.), and at
his suggestion, an invitation was given to all those who were sufficiently
interested, to form a study group, and this was accepted. Later, when Miss
Codd visited Bradford, similar classes were started. These classes
always commenced well, but gradually the attendance diminished and finally the
classes ceased. At no time was the numerical result in membership commensurate
with the energy put forth by the leaders. Still, it would not be correct to say
these efforts had not been worth while-for pioneers do not look for results
(though they are encouraging when seen), but rather hope that in some future
life the seed sown will come to fruition.
The following served short terms as president of the
lodge 1929-30: C. G. Solomon, Mrs. Withill, Mrs. L. Rhodes, F.
Brooman, A. Jackman, W. Gledhill, Miss K. Mercer, Mrs. Clayton, J. H.
Harvey, and R. Clayton.
R. Clayton was elected president of the Lodge in
1930 and continued in that office for two years.
The year 1932 saw the presidential chair occupied
by a lady for the second time in the history of the Lodge-Mrs. Withill.
The first lady president was Miss Kate Ward, in 1894. An
innovation in the form of study week-ends was introduced at this time and they
proved not only interesting but augmented the general knowledge of the members.
After Mrs. Withill (now Mrs. Groves) had left Bradford to
take up her residence in Middlesbrough, J. S. Wooller was elected
president, which office he held till April, 1938. At the present time
Miss J. Slingsby is the president.
The history of the past ten years is too close to be
judged accurately. The "glory" which the Bradford Lodge attained a
quarter of a century ago has gradually failed, through circumstances over which
the officials had no control, so that now with a much smaller membership it is
found difficult to carry on. In spite of adverse conditions, however, a few
workers are bravely holding the fort, and with faith in their hearts look
forward to the time when interest in spiritual matters will revive and
predominate over things material. Fortitude and determination are still the
qualities and characteristics of those who administer the affairs of the lodge,
and stimulated by the memory of the stalwarts of the past they are resolved that
the work shall continue and deserve, if not attain, success.
During the whole fifty years of Theosophical activity in
Bradford, it has always had the valued assistance of the leaders of the
movement, who have freely given their services. The following are among the more
prominent who have visited the city and addressed public meetings: Mrs. A.
Besant (30 times), C. W. Leadbeater, G. R. S. Mead, Mrs. Maud
Sharpe, Mrs. Cooper-Oakley, Lady Emily Lutyens, J. I. Wedgwood, Dr. Hayden
Guest, Miss E. Bright, H. Baillie-Weaver, C. Jinarajadasa, Miss C. Codd, B.
Keightley, W. Q. Judge, Col. Olcott, A. P. Sinnett, B. P. Wadia, D. Graham Pole,
Geo. Arundale Miss Charlotte Woods, Prof. Marcault, and we here record our
indebtedness to them for the impetus that their visits have given to Theosophy
and the Lodge work.
Go to top of page
LIST OF MEMBERS.
The following is a list of those
persons who had joined the Theosophical Society during its first 50 years
of activity. In each case the name that is given is that in which those persons
were accepted as members.
|Alderson, Miss F.
||Andrews, Mrs. E.|
||Atkins, Miss R.|
|Atkinson, R J.
||Atkinson, Mrs. J.|
|Aykroyd, H. E.
||Aykroyd, Mrs. B.|
|Barraclough, S. P.
|Belfield, Mrs. H. R.
||Berry, Dr. P. N.|
|Bolt, E. C.
||Bolt, Mrs. A.|
|Booth, Mrs. E.
|Bottomley, Miss E.
||Bottomley, Miss C.|
|Bower, Miss M.
||Bradley, Miss M.|
|Breden, Mrs. F.
|Briggs, Mrs. A. E.
||Briggs, Miss E. M.|
|Broadley, Miss J.
|Brook, Miss E.
||Brook, Miss M.|
|Brooksbank, Mrs. E.
|Broughton, Mrs. A.
||Buckley, Miss A.|
|Bulmer, L. T.
||Bulmer, Mrs. M. A.|
|Bushell, Miss E.
||Bushell, Miss M. E.|
||Buttle, Mrs. A. M.|
||Carver, Miss E.|
|Cherry, Mrs. I.
||Chesterman, Miss F.|
|Chew, Miss A.
||Clayton, Mrs. A.|
||Clayton, Miss F. I.|
|Clayton, Mrs. M.
|Clemo, Mrs. H.
||Coe, Miss E. E.|
|Cook, Miss F. C.
||Cook, Miss B.|
|Cook, Miss E. M. M.
||Cottam, C. G.|
|Coulthard, Miss M. A.
||Cousins, J. H.|
|Cowie, Miss M.
||Crabtree, Mrs. M.|
|Crabtree, Miss M. A.
|Craven, Miss A.
||Craven, Miss C.|
||Cuff, Miss E.|
||Dawson, Miss H.|
|Dewhirst, Miss D. M.
|Dixon, Miss C.
||Dobby, Miss A.|
|Douglas, J. S.
||Drake, Miss L.|
|Dunn, E. J.
||Dunn, Mrs. E. M.|
|Dunnett, Miss B.
||Duxbury Mrs. I. W.|
|Dyer, W. H.
|Edwards, B. E. J
||Elsworth, Miss L.|
|Emerson, Mrs. M. H.
||Emmott, Mrs. L.|
||Farrer, J. E.|
||Fawcett, Miss A|
|Fearnley, Miss A.
||Fearnside, Miss G. M.|
|Fieldhouse, Mrs. M.
|Findlayson, Miss M.
|Firth, Mrs. F. M.
||Firth. Miss A.|
|Firth Miss E.
||Fitchett, Miss M.|
|Fletcher, Miss L.
||Forshaw, Mrs. A.|
|Foster, R. J.
||Foster, Mrs. V. I.|
|Fowler, Miss A.
||Garbutt, G. E.|
|Garforth, Miss I.
||Garnett, Mrs. E.|
|Garrod, Miss L.
||Garrod, Miss E.|
|Garth, Miss I.
||Gellatly, Miss A.|
|Gibson, Mrs. M.
||Gill, J. W.|
|Gill, Mrs. P.
||Gill, Miss D.|
|Gill, Miss M.
||Gilson, Miss M. E.|
||Gordon, Miss I.|
||Grant, Miss J.|
||Grason, C. H.|
|Greenman, Miss H.
||Greenwood, Mrs. A.|
|Gregsten, E. B.
||Grenet, Mrs. V.|
|Groves, C. R.
||Groves. Mrs. L. M.|
||Gwillim, Miss E. M.|
|Hainsworth, Mrs. E.
||Halstead, Mrs. E.|
|Halstead, Miss C.
|Hardman, Mrs. B.
||Hargreaves, Mrs. H.|
|Hargreaves, Miss D.
||Hargreaves, Mrs. K.|
|Harrison, F. D.
|Harrison, Miss R. L.
||Harrison, G. F. L.|
|Harrison, Mrs. S. E.
||Harrison, Mrs. H.|
|Harrison, Miss E.
||Harrison, Miss G.|
|Harison, Miss G. S.
||Harrison, Miss N.|
||Hartley, Mrs. E.|
||Harvey, J. F.|
|Hollingsworth, Miss A.
||Holmes, C. E.|
|Holmes, T. W.
||Holroyd, Miss E.|
|Hope, Miss J. G.
||Hopkinson, Mrs. A. A.|
|Hopkinson, Mrs. E.
|Hudson, Mrs. E.
||Hudson, Miss M.|
|Hudson, Miss L.
||Hudson, Miss A.|
|Huntley, Miss A. M.
|Ingham, Miss E.
||Ives. Miss S.|
|Jackman, Mrs. E.
||Jackson, Miss S. G.|
|Jastrzebski, E. S.
||Jessop, Miss H.|
|Jones, Miss E.
|Keighley, Miss L.
||Kitson, Mrs. J.|
||Langford, Miss G.|
|Langford, Miss L.
|Lee, Miss A.
||Leeming, Miss F.|
|Liversedge, S. J.
||Long, Miss D.|
|Longfellow, G. H.
||Lord, Miss M.|
||Mallinson, Miss E. C.|
|Mann, Miss J. E.
||Marsden, Mrs. E.|
||McGuire, Miss H.|
|Melhuish, Mrs. M.
|Mercer, Miss K.
||Metcalfe, Miss G.|
|Metcalfe, Mrs. M.
|Midgley, J. A. V.
||Midgley, Miss E.|
|Millington, Miss M.
||Mitchell, J. A.|
|Mitchell, Mrs. E. J.
||Mitchell, Miss F. M.|
|Moss, C. E.
||Myers, W. V.|
|Nettleton, Mrs. E.
||Noakes, Mrs. F.|
|Norton, E. P. H.
||Norton, Mrs. C. A.|
||Oates, G. F.|
||Oddy, Mrs. M. A. P.|
|Oddy, Miss A
||Oddy, Miss A. M.|
|Osborn, Mrs. L.
|Palmer, Miss A. W.
||Parkin, Miss H. M.|
|Parkin, Miss F.
||Parkinson, Mrs. L.|
|Parkinson, Mrs. I.
||Pattinson, T. H.|
|Pattinson, Mrs. T. H.
||Pattinson, Miss J. S.|
|Pattinson, Miss A. O.
||Pearce, Mrs. M.|
|Pearson, Mrs. M.
||Pickles, Mrs. E. E.|
|Pope, Miss M.
||Popplestone, Miss E.|
|Porter, Mrs. E.
||Porter, Miss L. E.|
|Pownall, J. H.
||Prcston. Miss M.|
||Rawlinson, Mrs. M. J.|
||Raynor, Mrs. A.|
|Raynor, Miss N.
||Read, Miss E. J.|
|Reynolds, Miss S.
||Rhodes, Mrs. L.|
||Richardson, Miss A.|
|Richardson, Miss E.
|Riley, L. E.
||Robinson, Miss C.|
||Rushforth, Mrs. E.|
||Salmond, A. T.|
|Schaub, Mrs. E.
||Scott, Mrs. A.|
|Shackleton, Mrs. I.
||Shapcott, Miss A.|
|Shaw, Mrs. C.
||Slingsby, Miss J.|
|Slingsby, Miss L.
||Smith, J. H.|
|Smith, Miss M.
||Smith, Miss P.|
|Smith, Mrs. M.
||Solomon, C. G.|
|Solomon, Mrs. W.
||Spink Miss G.|
|Spink. Miss K.
||Stoker Miss A.|
|Stringer Mrs. E.
||Suffolk A. A.|
|Sutcliffe. Miss. E.
|Sykes, B. H.
||Symes, Miss J E.|
||Tait, Mrs. G.|
|Tempest, Miss. E.
|Thomas, T. H.
||Thomas, Mrs. S.|
|Thompson, Mrs. E.
||Thornton, Mrs. A.|
|Tinsley, E. H.
|Tiplady, Miss S. C.
||Todd, Mrs. E.|
|Todd, Miss Z.
||Verity, Mrs. E.|
|Walker, Miss M. M.
|Walton, Mrs. G.
||Ward, H. S.|
||Ward, Miss E.|
|Warneford, Miss M. E.
||Waterhouse, Miss F.|
|Watkin, Miss E. A.
||Waugh, Mrs. W.|
|Wear, Miss F.
||Whatmuff, Miss L.|
|White, A. J.
||Whitley, Mrs. E.|
|Whitley, Miss G.
||Whitworth, Miss E.|
||Wilkinson, Mrs. M. B.|
|Wilkins, Miss V. E.
|Williamson, Miss M.
||Wilman, Miss F. M.|
|Wilson, T. W.
||Wilson, Mrs. G.|
|Wiseman Miss D. K.
||Withill, Mrs. D. A.|
|Woodall, Miss L.
||Woodcock, A. H.|
|Woodhead, Mrs. A.
|Wooller, J. S.
||Wolstenholme, J. T.|
||Worsnop, L. S.|
|Wornsnop, Mrs. M.
|Worth, Mrs. C.
||Wrathmell, Mrs. A.|
|Wray, Mrs. A.
||Wright, R. D.|
||Wrigley, A. K.|
|Wrigley, Mrs. B. V.
||Wynn, J. J.|
||Yewdall, Miss F.|
|Yewdall. Miss H.
Go to top of page
Page last modified on:
Bradford Theosophical Society,
Secretary: Atma Trasi, 66 Kirkgate, Shipley, West Yorks BD18 3EL
Tel: 01274 598455. Email:
I would be most grateful to receive notifications of any errors or mistakes and
also for any suggestions for improvement of this web site. I thank you in